Friday, January 9, 2015

An Interview with a Hockey fan Extraordinaire Chris Bellm

I met Chris Bellm through Ebay when I made a mistake and he was gracious and helped me through it, and then he made a mistake and admitted it and could have pocketed the change, but didn't.  I was very impressed, and, then realized we lived 20 miles apart, had a mutual in person friend, went to the same comics and newspaper shop in the Twin Cities, and he lived in the city where I had spent many summers staying with my aunt and uncle's family. 

And I thought we must be related.  That is until I noticed, he was a fan of the Blackhawks.  Actually, while I was confused, many people from Minnesota have numerous favorite teams, the Minnesota North Stars, AND ______ someone else.  It is the result of our having lost a team we love, and loving hockey regardless of the level of play.  And I shared that multiple favorite experience with Chris as well.   Anyhow on to the interview.


Question #1: What is it about hockey that makes you love it so?


I love the passion.  You see it through out the sport,  the passion of the players battling through injury, etc...  to try and win the cup and for the love of the game. I love the passion of the fans, especially in Canada for the game I love.


Question #2: How much does being from the state of Minnesota play a role in your love of hockey?


Minnesota plays a strong role in my love.  The passion of the fans for all levels of hockey not just pro. College, High School and kids hockey of any age makes this game what it is.  Hockey is a sport that you need to be dedicated too with the cost, time, and ice time available.


Question #3:  How many Hockey cards do you have and which set or sets are your favorite?

I have too many hockey cards to count. I pretty much stopped collecting years ago but still get sucked in once in a while. I got rid of most of my cards about 10 years ago but kept my favorites, which is main my 1980's O-PEE-CHEE collection. I have tons of singles, sets, and unopened wax from the 80's that I will probably die with.


Question #4: Who are your favorite teams, and why?

Growing up I was just a North Stars fan, as we lost our team I kind of adopted other small market teams in trouble as I didnt want good hockey fans to lose their teams as well (Or I wanted to go through the pain again...) I was a HUGE Hartford Whalers fan the last few years of their franchise. I bought a satellite dish in 1995 to be able to watch all their games, something that was still not a common thing like today. 

I then moved on to the Oilers and Flames and took yearly trips to Alberta in the late 1990's and early 2000's. The only big market team I am a fan of is the Blackhawks, love the national anthem there even when I hated them in the 1980's, its something that drew me over to them when they were a nobody before Kane and Toews came along.


Question #5: What player is the one who pushes your angry button?

Brad Marchand and Milan Lucic are my #1 and #2 Shit list players. I hate the Bruins with a passion mainly because of these guys. Lucic is a big powerful player and every game they would be losing in the playoffs the last few years he would start gooning it up. Marchand is a pain, he goes after smaller players and dives all over the ice. There are others like Dustin Brown etc, but mainly I am a team lover/hater.

Postscript:  You can find Chris on Ebay selling wonderful ticket sets/stubs  I can personally swear by his business ethics having experienced his personal integrity.

Thank you Chris for your time and answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment